The 2016 IRS Nationwide Tax Forums kicked-off this summer in Chicago, Ill., the week of July 11. New Orleans, La. was the host city for the second tax forum during the week of July 25. The third tax forum begins August 23 and takes place in National Harbor, Md. Additional tax forums will travel to Orlando and San Diego over the next few weeks.
Activities at each of the five cities include three full days of:
- seminars on key federal and state tax issues;
- exhibitors displaying a wide selection of tax products and services;
- the Case Resolution Program – where practitioners bring their “toughest case” and work with an IRS tax professional; and
- focus groups – where practitioners are invited to share their opinions on a variety of pertinent tax topics.
Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is again a very active participant at the Forums. This year TAS is:
- presenting a series of seminars to help practitioners advocate for their clients;
- overseeing the Case Resolution Program; and
- obtaining valuable insight form practitioners through two focus groups.
The Case Resolution Program is a cross-functional endeavor that allows TAS, Small Business /Self Employed, and Wage and Investment the opportunity to work together and help practitioners help their clients. It’s not just the on-site assistors working to help the practitioners attending the forums. There are dedicated employees available by phone to help assistors at the tax forums resolve the cases. The on-call assistors are representatives from several IRS functions, in addition to TAS technical advisors. This joint effort has help resolve 238 cases for practitioners at the forums this year.
Plan to join the IRS Nationwide Tax Forums nearest you this summer.